26 February 2009

Still an effing eggplant

I'm at 28 weeks today, which I was under the impression was the beginning of my last trimester but noooooo ... I don't know why I can't do basic multiplication to work out my months but I am always off on how far along I actually am. Anyway, here's the scoop:

You're in the home stretch. The third trimester typically starts at week 29 and lasts until you give birth, at around 40 weeks. Most women gain an average of five kilograms during this trimester. By this week, your baby weighs a little over 1 kilogram and may measure 38 centimetres from top to toe. At about this time, your baby can open his eyes and turn his head in utero if he notices a continuous, bright light shining from the outside. His fat layers are forming and his fingernails appear.

He got his first case of the hiccups last night (well, the first we've felt) & it was really the first time I thought "Oh my goodness, my son is adorable!" The best part was Marcel got to feel them first - at night he always puts his hand on there and usually shakes my stomach like a snowglobe, which is less than pleasant for me, to make the boy move so he can have his bonding moments. Apparently this got the kid hiccuping - it was fantastic.

Nothing else new. Stomach is g-r-o-w-i-n-g but I like it for now. It does scare me that I still have 3 months of growing left - yowza, it's gonna be BIG. I have actually been wearing maternity clothes a bit this week and when I wear my normal t-shirts, I've had to drag out the belly band to keep everything in check. Again, why is all so surprising to me? I've seen pregnant women before.

My brain is still steadily fading. I came home the other night from work to find our screendoor open, which is fine because the real door was closed & locked. But I still called Marcel at work to say that I thougth someone must have tried to visit us or deliver something because I was the last one to leave & there is NO WAY I could have walked away with that screen door stuck open. He had his doubts and those doubts turn into rude raucous laughter when he got home an hour later and I had left my keys in the front door from when I got home. If you see my brain, tell it I want it to come home.

Anyway, that's it from over here. I'm dragging Marcel to So You Think You Can Dance tonight so he can experience his son's love of loud dance music and I think we're finally going to brave IKEA tomorrow so I can put our damn nursery together. So basically Marcel may kill me before this weekend is over because neither of these awesomely fun activities fall into his world of excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment