27 November 2008

she bore lemon

Made it 14 weeks! Apparently my placenta is built and ready to go, which is awesome news I guess. Apparently I should be less nauseous, less sleepy and be an all around more pleasant person now. We shall see. And my baby is now the size of a lemon so I FINALLY have a reason to sing U2's Lemon as often as possible. If you don't know that song, you need to download it on iTunes straight away and bask in its falsetto goodness - I'll spot you the 99 cents (or $1.69 if you're in the Big Country). Here's the weekly baby update:

Crown to rump, your baby is around 9 centimetres long and weighs 43 grams. The body is now growing faster than the head. This week, its parchment-thin skin covers itself with lanugo (ultra-fine, downy hair that usually disappears before birth). Though eyebrows are beginning to grow and the hair on top of the head is sprouting, this hair may change in both texture and colour after birth. About now, the fetus can grasp, squint, frown, and grimace. It may even be able to suck its thumb. Researchers believe these and other movements probably correspond to the development of impulses in the brain.

I have to say that I absolutely love picturing my hairy sasquatch child squinting, grimacing and frowning. When do the happier gestures kick in or do they just know we're going to have a cynical child?

Also want to take a moment to address the cockroaches from my last story. Please do not think we are filthy or live in squalor. There were 3 roaches. Yes, that's 3 too many but when I moved here people kept telling me that these roaches aren't the dirty kind - they're the outdoor kind that come out in summer and just happen to get into your home. Dirty stinking liars, I say but I'll use it in my defense now. We also had our windows redone this year and the contractors didn't fill in between the new frames and the wall so there's this perfect little gap for the roaches to sneak in through. We'll be filling those in this weekend and the kitchen is staying clean so no more gross visitors.

Oh wait, I have more baby updates from the other website I trust:
Your adorable little fetus is busy with thumb sucking, toe wiggling, and (not so cute but equally amazing) making urine and breathing amniotic fluid as the liver, kidneys and spleen continue to develop. Lanugo (thin, downy hair) is growing all over the body for warmth.

Okay, toe wiggling is better than grimacing but I'd rather not think about my baby peeing while he/she's in there. They don't warn you about these things before you get knocked up, they just don't.

The midwives called me back! Of course I missed that call so I've had to leave them another message but we're making progress. I may actually get an appointmet with them one day at this rate. No more news from me - just trying to keep my pregnant brain focused so I stop forgetting things at work. It's nice to have a fetus to blame.

... she wore lemon to colour in the cold grey night ...

No comments:

Post a Comment