11 December 2008

sweet 16

I hit 16 weeks this week and am getting mixed messages - is my baby a pear like its mama or an avocado like one of its mother's favourite foods. Hmmm ...

Your baby is about the size of a pear this week. Some of the more advanced body systems are working now, including his circulation and urinary tract. Your baby may be playing with the umbilical cord -- grabbing it and letting it go again. You've probably gained at least 2.2kg by now, maybe as much as 4.5 kg. Your uterus is growing and you might feel pangs caused by the ligaments stretching in your abdomen. These pains are usually temporary but your growing uterus will put extra strain on your back.

Fetal development - 16 weeks pregnant. Your baby is now about the size of an avocado (11.6 centimetres long from crown to rump and weighing 100 grams). In the next three weeks he'll go through a tremendous growth spurt, doubling his weight and adding centimetres to his length. In or out of the womb, babies are playful creatures. Yours may already have discovered his first toy -- the umbilical cord -- which he'll enjoy pulling and grabbing. Sometimes he may even clutch it so tight that less oxygen gets through, but don't worry -- he doesn't hold onto it long enough to harm himself. The circulatory system and urinary tract are in full working order, and he's inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid through his lungs. Sometimes, when you move suddenly, you may a feel a slight pain in your sides. Ligaments on each side of your uterus and pelvic walls are stretching as your baby grows. It's normal to feel some pain, but if it continues for a few days or escalates, talk to your midwife.

They are right about the back/stomach pain. I can no longer sleep on my back or I wake up in agony, which is odd because I've only put on 2 kg but apparently it's all weighing right down on my wimpy softening ligaments. I have to sleep on my side (the left is best) with a PILLOW BETWEEN MY LEGS to be comfortable. I feel like a jackass but it's absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure how I feel about the little bugger playing with its umbilical cord - I'm having flashes of my father who did not appreciate me playing with anything in our cars like window controls, locks, opening/closing compartments. I slap Marcel's hand and give him the stern "UH-UH" when starts clicking things annoyingly or playing around in the car (thank you, Dad) and I'm already nervous that my child is acting like a bozo in my womb and is going to mess something up in there. Luckily, I don't have to stress about my womb's resale value like the cars. *Note to self: Call Dad to tell him that our petrol prices have dropped below a dollar/litre. He'll appreciate that.

Nothing else new or excitig to report, I don't think. Still not enough belly to get a picture for you but I'm okay with that because I know it's going to catch up to me in a verrrry big way and I'm going to remember these months fondly even though everyone else frowns at my boring belly.

Still no baby names that we can agree on to save our lives. I am paying very close attention to everyone's names that I come into contact with - unfortunately my client list at work has knocked a lot of names out of the running for me. Not that they're bad people - I honestly have slim to no problems with our clients - just don't want to think of work every time I say my baby's name. I fell desperately in love with the name Hugo yesterday because a client was recording something with Hugo Weaving and I realised that I love Hugo Weaving, Victor Hugo (who wrote Les Miserables) and Hugo/Hurley from LOST. Marcel put the big red stamp of VETO on my Hugo dream, though, so no go on that one. I can't wait until he comes up with a weird little name that he loves so I can stomp all over his dreams too.

No comments:

Post a Comment